I often get asked by potential clients if health insurance would cover 3D Areola Tattoos?
The Women’s Health and Cancer Rights Act of 1998 requires insurance to cover postmastectomy reconstruction, including areola/nipple tattooing. Insurance may reimburse some of the cost of procedures. Your own coverage will depend on your individual insurance plan.
There are a few steps a client can take in order to increase their chances of getting their 3D Areola Tattoo covered… Please obtain the following documents when attempting to make an insurance claim:
1. A prescription from your doctor with ICD10 and CPT codes
2. A claim reimbursement form found on their specific website
3. Receipt of payment which is paid to Fab Lab on day of service
4. Letter of medical necessity
5. Your health history form
7. * If the insurance company requires a prior authorization you may try to do it yourself but you will need the codes on your prescription from your doctor to provide to the insurance company. (see #1)
Armed with these documents many patients have been able to recover some, or complete cost of the 3D Areola Tattoo. Some insurance companies might need all of this documentation, while others might ask for a few more.
I am here to answer any questions you might have, and help you with your final step on “beating the breast cancer” journey!